Ozzie's injuries were not serious. He flew northwards despite the poor weather and low cloud. He moved slowly up the French coast before it led westward. Here Ozzie hesitated before heading inland a little to a huge lake just south-west of Nantes where he spent the night. Next morning instinct took him inland at Nantes. The weather had improved,  although it was still windy. After a day of steady migratory flight he had crossed the neck of the Brittany peninsular and met the Normandy coastline. The weather closed in again and Ozzie could not see far out to sea. He knew he had to cross but visibility reduced to practically zero with each squally shower. Next day he wandered up the coastline, actually meandering out over the sea on a number of occasions, but always came back when visibility worsened.

At around midday he passed the narrowest channel crossing, unable to see westwards, and followed the coast north-easterly with ever more reluctance. Twice he landed in trees in the farmland beyond the coast to assess the situation. In the early afternoon there was a break in the weather. Heavy rain clouds tracked inland and to the south of him. Bright sunshine emerged to the west lighting the sea. There seemed to be a clear strip, a pathway across the channel. Ozzie lingered, circling up. He became aware of a Marsh Harrier coming up from inland; he had also seen the window of opportunity.
Both birds tentatively circled out over the beach at about 200 metres, the wind had eased. It was now or never. Ozzie led and the harrier followed on his flank, each bird  giving the other confidence. Seven kilometres out Ozzie became aware of an increase in wind and a fresh set of storm clouds working up from the south-west, reducing the window and pushing it north-east. His direction changed to keep in the cloud gap. The Marsh Harrier was lagging behind.
After one and a half hours they were about half way across, but had now been forced to fly in a more northerly trajectory, lengthening the crossing. Ozzie flew through  some loose cloud that wet his plumage. He saw the Marsh Harrier drop in an attempt to go under the cloudbank  which had all but closed in and cut them off. The cloud was now becoming a solid wall. The Marsh Harrier was low, skimming the waves, using them to maintain his height. The last time Ozzie saw him he was struggling, buffeted by the wind and dropping in and out of wave troughs. Did he ever make it?